Asian Studies Readings: Ancient and Classical Japan
Research the following questions. Try not to use only Wikipedia.
Day One Readings
- What was life in Japan like before the 1100’s?
- What were the major periods during the “Classical Period” of Japan? Who were the ruling families
- Who was Fujiwara no Michinaga?
- What was the first capital of Japan? Why was it built there and why did it move?
- How does Buddhism come to Japan? Why does it become the national religion?
Day Two Readings
- What is the Nihon Shoki? How important is to Japanese history? Mythology?
- Describe the story of the Sun Goddess and the founding of Japan.
- Describe the story of Emperor Jimmu
- Describe what are Kami and their importance.
- Select one of the stories related to the Sun Goddess or Emperor Jimmu and create a comic strip.