Description of Studies
The purpose of this class is to help you better understand the cultures of China, Japan, Korea, and India. The class will encompass a brief study of pre-colonial Asia; however, a concentration of the studies will be on colonial and post-colonial Asia. Each student will also be able to explain and/or compare the historical trends of economic growth, cultural shifts, and political realignments.
Textbooks: Students will be using a combination of articles and texts provided during class.
Daily Notebook: 3-pong Folder with notebook paper
Pencil or Pen (Black only; other colors will not be graded)
Asia before Colonialism
- China: Ancient Dynasties – Yuan Dynasties
- Japan: Ancient Dynasties - Azuchi-Momoyama Period
- Korea: Ancient Dynasties - Goryeo Period
- India: Vedic Period – Mughal Dynasty
- China: Study of the last empires of china before the weakened attempts of colonial independence begin and Sino-Japanese War.
- Japan: Study of Isolation and European modernization of Japan during the Tokogawa Shogunate and Meiji restoration periods.
- Korea: Known as the Middle Period this is a time of independent and Cultural identity before a period of Japanese occupation
- India: One of the two catalyst used to begin the exploration movement a hodgepodge of kingdoms is forced into a created national identity
This period looks at the effects of both World Wars and the creation of the Communist system in China and Korea. This will be limited to a study of the culture and not necessary the military history of the conflicts.
- China: Creation of Mao’s China and the movement towards a Capitalist Economy under Communist Party control
- Japan: US occupation, corporate samurai culture and the modern Japanese industrial engine.
- Korea: The Hermit Kingdom of North Korea and the Techno-culture of South Korea are not one in the same.
- India: Independence does not mean cultural equality. Secession process of Pakistan and Bangladesh. The issue of place in the world and what it means to be the fastest growing population.